Thomas Merrill Assoc Professor Department of Government
- Additional Positions at AU
- Associate Director, Political Theory Institute
- PhD, Duke University<br />
MA, Duke University<br />
AB, Fundamentals: Issues and Texts
- Thomas Merrill is an associate professor in the School of Public Affairs. He is the author of Hume and the Politics of Enlightenment (Cambridge, 2015), which won the Delba Winthrop Prize for Best Recent Work in Political Philosophy. He is also the co-editor of three edited volumes, including The Political Thought of the Civil War (University Press of Kansas, 2018) and has held fellowships from Harvard, Princeton, and the American Enterprise Institute. He was a senior research analyst for the President’s Council on Bioethics during the George W. Bush administration and is the associate director of the Political Theory Institute at American University, which has hosted many public intellectuals from across the political spectrum as well as many academic political theorists. He has served as coordinator of the undergraduate program in the Department of Government and, more recently, as department chair.
- See Also
- SPA Department of Government
- SPA Political Theory Institute
- For the Media
- To request an interview for a news story, call AU Communications at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
CORE-105 Complex Problems Seminar: The Examined Life
GOVT-205 Political Theory: Issues/Texts
GOVT-211 Roots of Political Economy
GOVT-105 Indiv Freedom vs Auth