Core Leaders are full-time undergraduate students working as part-time, paid student-staff members of the AU Core Curriculum. These student leaders offer peer support that helps keep students engaged and deepen learning in their active, inquiry-based classes. Each Core Leader (CL) works directly with a faculty member to support students.
After completing this position, the Core Leader will be able to:
- Employ multiple communication strategies to convey ideas
- Demonstrate listening and responding skills that encourage critical thinking
- Effectively lead groups to accomplish a goal
- Practice ethical helping behaviors
CLs can expect to:
- Spend approximately 5 hours per week on CL tasks, including time spent in the classroom
- Work closely with a faculty member
- Facilitate learning
- Directly support their peers’ academic success and wellbeing
- Build communication, planning, facilitation, and other attractive resume skills and experiences
- Participate in semi-regular meetings with Core staff
“Through the Core Leader Program, I have been able to not only uplift my peers in their studies but also advance my intellectual curiosity through the course in which I assisted with. Beyond academics, I helped boost confidence and positivity among my peers in order to help them thrive which has been very rewarding and has helped me grow, as well.” – Bronwyn W.
“Having the opportunity to be a Core Leader has provided me with a wide array of skills. Through my experience as a CL, I've learned how to communicate better and more efficiently. Working under a professor for the CL program has given me the experience of working on the "other side" of a college classroom. This in turn has helped me become a better student for my professors and employers. I'm extremely grateful for this experience and I'll use the skills I've learned as a Core Leader long after I leave AU.” - McKenzie I.
What Makes a Good Core Leader?
There is no single “type” of student who can excel in and bring valuable skills to this role.
Anyone who is engaged, organized, reliable, encouraging, and committed to supporting their peers can be successful Core Leaders.
Join the Team:
Speak directly to an instructor who will be teaching a course that satisfies a Habit of Mind or Integrative requirement about your interest in serving as a Core Leader.
Every semester, applications become available for AU Core faculty to request a student be assigned as CL to their course for the subsequent semester. Once a faculty member is approved for a CL, they will reach out to students who have expressed interest and/or those who they think would be strong CLs.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.