The deadline to be a Spring 2023 AUx Peer Facilitator has passed. Please check back in mid-February for details on the Fall 2023 recruitmnet cycle.
The Peer Facilitator plays an essential role in the AUx courses by serving as a role model and a mentor to students in their first year at AU.
Peer Facilitators serve as co-facilitators for two sections of either AUx1 or AUx2, and will typically be paired with the same staff or faculty Instructor for both sections. They are expected to attend all once-a-week AUx classes for their two assigned sections and assist the Instructor by offering their unique perspective as an AU student. Peer Facilitators have various responsibilities, including updating their students about campus events and activities, encouraging their participation, and coordinating with the assigned Instructor on course planning, teaching, and classroom management/logistics.
- Participate in Peer Facilitator training (dates to be announced)
- Fulfill additional Move-In/All-American Welcome Week responsibilities (for fall hires)
- Attend weekly AUx classes and contribute to facilitating classroom dialogues
- Meet weekly with your AUx Instructor counterpart to coordinate course planning, teaching, and classroom logistics
- Hold weekly office hours
- Attend monthly Peer Facilitator meetings led by AUx Program staff (dates to be announced)
- Meet and/or communicate regurally with your assigned Senior Peer Facilitator
- Provide mentorship to students who are becoming academically/personally oriented to AU
- Undergraduate student with sophomore standing or in their second year at AU with a minimum of 30 credits completed
- Completed both AUx1 and AUx2 before the start date, unless it was not a requirement for you
- Maintain at least a 3.00 cumulative grade point average
- Be in good judicial standing
- Demonstrated leadership in the American University community
- Note: students are not permitted to serve as a Resident Assistant (RA’s) or Complex Problems/University College Program Leader during the same semester in which they serve as an AUx Peer Facilitator
The criteria listed above must be met by the start date for the AUx Peer Facilitator role. Meaning that current first-year students and/or students currently enrolled in AUx2 are elligible to apply.
Final hiring is contigent on the AUx Programs ability to assign you to sections based on the availability.
- Peer Facilitators work approximately 8 to 10 hours per week and earn $16.10 per hour worked
- The hourly wage for this position reflects the minimum wage increase for DC that will go into effect in July 2022
- Position is open to FWS and non-FWS students
- Positions are available for both AUx1 and AUx2 courses
- Please note that we anticipate having a limited number of vacant positions (15-20)
- Submit an online application by 11:59 pm on Friday, October 28th
- Have one AU Faculty or Staff member fill out a recommendation form by 11:59 pm on Friday, October 28th
- Current AUx Peer Facilitators can also serve as reference
Application will be reviewed by committee once the application form has closed. Group interviews will take place in early-November. If you are selected to interview for an AUx Peer Facilitator position, we will contact you to schedule your interview based on your availability. If you are not selected to interview for an AUx Peer Facilitator position, we will contact you to inform you of the status of your application.
The AUx Program will hold two info sessions for interested applicants to learn more about the role:
Tuesday, October 18th @ 7:00 PM
Thursday, October 20th @ 12:00 PM
All info sessions will be held over Zoom. And preference will be given to applicants who attend.