Have you ever been the victim of a phishing attack or received an email pretending to be from a colleague after their account was compromised? AU relies on Duo Multifactor Authentication (MFA) to protect our account holders from unauthorized access to their accounts and account data. All Faculty, Staff, and Students must enroll a device to use Duo.
American University requires use of Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) on AU systems, including Outlook/Office 365. This security standard helps all users to prevent unauthorized access to email and data, and reduces phishing attacks within the AU community. See how MFA fits into the process for authenticating to AU systems.
Additionally, we are expanding the requirement to use Duo across other AU systems and services including the VPN.
New to American University?
- Learn how to use Duo Multi-Factor Authentication at American University by viewing An Introduction to Duo Security, below.
- Enroll your device using our guide for first-time users (login required).
Two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your logins. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or other mobile device) prevents anyone but you from logging in, even if they know your password.
Existing American University account holders
All AU account holders must keep their account in good standing for it to remain active. account to remain active.
- Make sure your password recovery options are setup in AU's Self-Service Password Reset tool.
- Passwords must be reset once a year. Be sure to reset yours if it's expiring soon.
- Review any devices and phone numbers you have enrolled in Duo. You can add more than one device. If you've changed phones, don't forget to activate Duo Mobile on your new phone.
Duo will be implemented on specific systems over the next few months.
- Archibus - Planning & Project Management System
- Cisco WebEx - VoIP
- Collibra - Data Governance
- Elements - Faculty Activity Reporting System
- EMS - Event Management System
- MicroStrategy Business Intelligence
- Site Improve
- Slate SOE Online
- StarRez Housing Portal
- Symplicity Advocate
- WAMU Systems - Claromentis, DCist
- Apogee Stream2 - Cable TV | https://campustv.american.edu
- Atrium - OneCard & Dining | https://onecard.american.edu
- AU Abroad - Study Abroad | https://auabroad.american.edu/_portal/
- AU Alerts - Emergency Notifications | https://getrave.com/login/american
- Blue - Student Evaluation of Teaching | https://set.american.edu
- Canvas - Learning Management System | https://canvas.american.edu/
- Club Sports Team Portal | https://www.american.edu/recfit/club-sports/team-portal.cfm
- Cayuse | https://american.Cayuse424.com
- Connect2 - ATEC Studios, SOC Equipment Room, SOC Photo | https://ausoc.getconnect2.com/
- Engage | https://american.campuslabs.com/engage/
- Firsthand (Kogod Students) | https://americanbusiness.firsthand.co/
- GetInclusive | https://app.getinclusive.com/
- Handshake | https://american.joinhandshake.com/
- Library Systems:
- Cambridge University Press
- ExLibris Alma | https://wrlc-amu.alma.exlibrisgroup.com/SAML
- ExLibris Primo | https://wrlc-amu.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/login?vid=01WRLC_AMU:prod
- LinkedIn Learning | https://www.linkedin.com/checkpoint/enterprise/login/50850177?application=learning
- MediaSpace | https://mediaspace.american.edu/
- OpenAthens | https://login.openathens.net/auth
- Springshare | https://american.libapps.com/libapps/login.php
- Mathematica | https://account.wolfram.com/
- NameCoach | https://go.american.edu/RecordMyName
- Noodle Externship
- Parchment | https://www.parchment.com/u/registration/654250/institution
- Qualtrics - Survey Tool | https://edspace.american.edu/ctrl/qualtrics/
- ServiceNow - Help & Services Portal | https://help.american.edu
- Student Health Portal | https://american.studenthealthportal.com/
- T2 Parking System | https://american.t2hosted.com/Account/Portal
- Tapingo | Mobile app
- TracDat | http://american.tracdat.com
- WCL Systems:
- You@American | https://you.american.edu/
- Zoom | https://american.zoom.us
- AsuccessfulU | https://performancemanager4.successfactors.com/sf/home?bplte_company=AmericanU#Shell-home
- BenefitFocus | https://secure-enroll.com/sso/saml/myaubenefits?LinkID=1209
- Eagle Service (for Faculty & Staff only) | https://eagleservice.american.edu/
- MyAU Portal (for Faculty & Staff only) | https://myau.american.edu/
Still using an AU Gmail Account?
Students and Alumni still using their AU-sponsored Gmail account need to setup Google's Multi-factor Authentication on Gmail.
- Google refers to their MFA as "2-Step Verification" or "2SV", and is different than Duo MFA.
- Follow Google's instructions on setting up 2-Step Verification for your AU Gmail account
2-step verification adds a second layer of security to your logins. Verifying your identity using a second factor (like your phone or other mobile device) prevents anyone but you from logging in, even if they know your password.