American University is situated in an ideal location in the nation's capital. Located in northwest Washington, one of DC's most beautiful residential areas, AU is just minutes from the city's most famous sites by bus, cab, Metro, or car. Our free shuttle service connects the university to Washington's Metro Red Line at the Tenleytown-AU station, which is located just three-quarters of a mile from campus.
The intern lodging program is available for any non-AU student visiting the Washington, DC area for an academic internship, educational program, or scholarly research. All applicants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of application.
The waitlist for Summer 2023 Internship Housing is now available!
Are you a current AU student looking for summer housing? Please visit the Summer Student Housing webpage.
American University’s on-campus accommodations for intern lodging feature traditional, suite, and apartment style room options. Located in Nebraska Hall, apartment style rooms include a full kitchen, common living area, and a private room within a shared apartment, while traditional style rooms in Anderson Hall include a fully private room with shared bathrooms on the residence hall floor. For summer 2023, suite style accommodations will be available on the East Campus Commons, with a fully private bedroom and a double vanity bathroom,with communal kitchens on the residence hall floors. All rooms come furnished and include full linen sets (sheets, pillow, blanket, and towel), air conditioning, Wi-Fi, cable readiness, and utilities at no additional fee. Complimentary access to on-campus fitness facilities is also included.
Roomate selection policy under revision
- Rates do not include the 14.95% D.C. Hotel Tax.
- A six- week minimum stay is required.
- Charges will not be prorated for late arrivals or early departures.
- Only credit card payments made through the online application will be accepted. Full payment is required at the time of application. Your application can only be confirmed once payment is received.
- Rates are calculated by full week Sunday to Saturday, with a minimum 6wk stay in suite and apartment style accommodations, minimum 4wk stay in traditional style.
Cancellations: For individual interns applying for summer housing through the application portal, cancellations must be received in writing to email@example.com no less than fourteen (14) days prior to the requested check-in date. In the case of individual cancellations, a $200 cancellation fee will be deducted from the refund balance.