Home Use Collection
Approximately 12,000 of the DVDs in the collection have been cataloged for home use and may be circulated to AU students and staff on a three day loan. The primary mission of Media Services is to support teaching faculty and their course development, so some titles acquired specifically for class use are not designated for home use. Titles reserved at any time during the semester for class use and other high use items will not be circulated for home use; these items may only be viewed in Media Services.
The Home Use loan period is one week. Overdue fines are $1.20 per day. Home Use items may not be renewed, but users can return them to Media Services and check them out immediately as long as they are not needed for class use.
Finding Home Use Titles
Media Services maintains a collection of pin boards for browsing titles in our Home Use Collection. Peruse some of our favorite films with ease. Titles and links to our catalog are under every title. The page has over 30 sub-collections on themes like staff favorites, animation, AFI top 100, French language films and many more. In all, nearly 2,000 films are pinned.
Follow your favorite sub-collections with the Add to Favorites pin. For a current list of the complete Home Use Collection, do the following catalog keyword search: "home use collection".
Guidelines and Restrictions
- Titles from the Home Use Collection may be borrowed by AU students, faculty and staff on a one week loan and may be renewed only in person.
- Eligible titles are listed in the catalog with call numbers beginning "HOME USE COLLECTION". However, some of these items may be temporarily restricted from home use if they are being used to support curricular activities.
- No more than two titles at a time may circulate to an individual.
- Checked-out items may not be placed on hold.
- A subset of Home Use are designated with an '*'. These are always available for one week loan and can not be reserved for class use.
- Overdue fines of $1.20 per day will be charged for late returns; there is no grace period.