Select Graduate Student Profiles
Hometown: Prince George's County, MD
Intellectual interests: Postcolonial philosophy, Eastern philosophy, Ancient philosophy, Ethics, Ethics of care, Global Ethics, Epistemology, Biopolitics/biopower, Peacebuilding, International conflict resolution, Human rights, Religion and violence.
Fun fact: I do not have a favorite color.
Hometown: Springfield, VA
Intellectual interests: Queer and Trans philosophy, decolonial ethics, disability philosophy, deconstruction, continental philosophy, history, how eugenic logic shapes our current world, ontology, relations between the body and society, Derrida, and Agamben
Fun fact: I recently finished the second draft of a fiction book I'm writing (based on Romeo and Juliet, focused on a trans boy Tybalt) and am working on the first draft of a middle grade fantasy project.
Hometown: Long Island, New York
Intellectual interests: Ethics, Human Rights, Latin American Philosophy, Immigration Policy, Critical Race Theory.
Fun fact: I have met two Supreme Court Justices: Sonia Sotomayor and Stephen Breyer.
Hometown: Morris County, NJ
Intellectual interests: Democratic theory informed by care ethics and phenomenology.
Fun fact: I was AU's principal orchestral tubist for three years as an undergraduate.
Hometown: Vienna, VA
Intellectual interests: Phenomenology, Pragmatism, Buddhism, East Asian Philosophy, Ethics, Critical Race theory, post-modernism.
Fun fact: I am a painter.
Hometown: Virginia Beach, VA
Intellectual interests: I am interested in the ways in which the work and thoughts of early 20th century existentialists/phenomenologists interact with a variety of other philosophical disciplines.
Fun fact: I am planning to pursue a PhD in Philosophy after graduating from AU.
Hometown: Omaha, NE
Intellectual interests: African Spiritual Philosophy, Womanism, Black Feminism Care Ethics, Ethics, Moral Psychology, Anti-blackness, Afropessimism, Afrofuturism, Black Liberation Theology, Critical Race Theory, Ontology, Epistemology, Phenomenology of Embodiment, Continental Philosophy, Ancient Philosophy, Levinas.
Fun fact: I love banana-flavored things but I hate the actual fruit. Something about the texture I just cannot get with.
Hometown: Miami, FL
Intellectual interests: Critical race theory, gender-based violence and understanding the social determinants of health.
Fun fact: I’ve been to 48 states!
Hometown: Fenton, MI
Intellectual interests: Ethics, ethics of care, social epistemology.
Fun fact: I’m a Christmas Eve baby.
Hometown: Dallas, TX
Intellectual interests: Existentialism, political philosophy, phenomenology, critical race theory, metaphysics, philosophy of mind.
Fun fact: I'm in the process of learning my fourth language.
Recent Qualifying Papers by MA Students
- “Necessary Tension: A Response to Creative Etiquette"
- “A Caring Education: The Cure for the Neoliberal Self”
- “Trans Experience, Narrative Inquiry, and Playfulness”
- “The Invisibility of a Black Father’s Touch: Perceptions of Black Male Flesh and the Phenomenology of Embodied Care”
- “All Is Fair in Care and War: Care Ethics for Artificial Intelligence in US War Strategy”
- “The Self-Defeat of John Rawls; the Self-Defeat of Ideal Theory”
- “Womanist Love Ethic: Anti-Blackness, Womanism, and the Foundation of Care”
- “Revised Revisionism: The Necessity of Epistemic Inclusion in Historical Revisionism”
- “Abolition Feminism: Disrupting the Spacetime(s) of Disposability”
- “Ubuntu, Disability, and Access to Education”
- “Everybody Can’t Be Included: The Desire for Linguistic Belonging”