American University offers students the opportunity to earn both undergraduate and graduate degrees through its accelerated bachelor's/master's programs, which typically take five years to complete. (Completion in four years is sometimes possible. See below.) Students in these programs will not be required to take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
Requirements for all combined bachelor's/master's degrees in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics:
- Interested students should apply by the end of their junior year.
- For those degree combinations indicated in the chart below, it is possible for students to complete both degrees in four academic years and two summers, provided that they arrive with at least four Calculus credits (AP, IB, or British A-levels) and at least three other AP credits that can count toward General Education requirements. Interested students should consult with an advisor in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics as soon as possible, preferably in their very first semester.
- Students will be admitted formally to MA status only after they have completed all requirements for their undergraduate degree with a grade point average at least as high as given in the chart below.
- Undergraduate students may apply up to 9 credit hours of approved graduate-level course work to satisfy the requirements of both degrees. The department that oversees the graduate program the student enters will determine if the courses the undergraduate student completes will satisfy master's degree requirements.
- Students must complete all requirements of both their undergraduate and graduate programs.
- Students must complete at least 18 in-residence credit hours at the graduate level after the bachelor's degree is earned and maintain continuous, sequential enrollment in the two programs.
- Students must finish the master's degree requirements within three years from the date of first enrollment in the master's program.
Degree Combinations Available
|Undergraduate||Graduate||Minimum GPA||Four Year Option?|
|BS Math||MS Math||3.2 in major||Yes|
|BS Applied Math||MS Math||3.2 in major||Yes|
|BS Math||MS Stat||3.2 in major||Yes|
|BS Applied Math||MS Stat||3.2 in major||Ask|
|BS Math and Econ||MA Econ||3.0 cumulative||Ask|
|BS Math and Econ||MS Math||3.2 in major||Ask|
|BS Stat||MS Stat||3.2 in major||Yes|
|BS Stat||MS Math||3.2 in major||Yes|