American University partners with eligible nonprofit organizations and government agencies to employ talented college students, who, in turn, provide support and direct services to community members in need.
501(c)(3) organizations and federal, state, and local government agencies whose mission is to serve the public good may participate in this program.
Partner organizations may recruit students for positions designed to improve individuals' quality of life or to resolve community issues. Common functional areas include education, social services, health care, community improvement, and public safety, among others. Job functions that do
not qualify for this program include:
- Services to organizations that have membership limits (e.g., credit unions and fraternal or religious orders) if the work to be performed primarily benefits the members
- Partisan or nonpartisan political or election activity for a public or party office
- Services to an elected official unless the official is responsible for the regular administration of a federal, state, or local government program
- Support as a political aide to an elected official
- Lobbying or advocacy work at the federal, state, or local level
Students awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) as part of their financial aid packages may apply for employment through this program.
American University covers 75 percent of students' wages and partner organizations cover the remaining 25 percent.
Organizations receive invoices for their 25 percent share at the end of the fall, spring, and summer terms and pay an average of $500 per student during the academic year and $1200 per student during the summer. Actual totals vary according to students' hourly rates and hours worked per week.
Apply To Be a Partner Organization
Step 1: Complete this application as thoroughly as possible.
Step 2: Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. If applicable, enclose a copy of your organization's IRS 501(c)(3) letter.
Step 3: Await notification concerning the eligibility of your organization and proposed position(s). Please allow at least five business days for an initial response.
Step 4: If eligible, arrange an on-site meeting and tour of your facility with the Student Employment Coordinator.
Step 5: Complete and submit the Partner Organization Agreement and other requisite forms. These documents will be provided once your initial application is approved.
Step 6: Recruit and interview applicants and work with FWS Assistant to hire student employees.
Step 7: Provide continual coaching and supervision, including time sheet approval, for student employees.
Early June - Early August: Summer employment period.
Late August - Mid December: Fall Employment Period
Mid January - Early May: Spring Employment Period