All Abroad at AU students are required to maintain full-time student status with a course load of 12 credit hours (typically four classes). Students may choose courses from within four of the university's schools:
- School of International Service
- College of Arts and Sciences
- School of Public Affairs
- Kogod School of Business
Abroad at AU students directly enroll in courses and are integrated into the general campus population. For a complete list of AU courses see the online Schedule of Classes, and for more information visit the Registrar's website.
While Abroad at AU students can generally register for courses in the above schools, there are some limitations.
Though students may pick courses from five schools at American University, some courses require students to have already completed previous classes in the subject before they can enroll in the course. Like other American University students, Abroad at AU students must be able to provide proof of completing and meeting any prerequisites listed for a course when required.
Additionally, not all courses are open to Abroad at AU students. Restrictions to course enrollment are outlined below.
Abroad at AU students can only enroll in undergraduate level courses (100-500 level). Student cannot take graduate level courses (600 and above). There are no exceptions to this.
Abroad at AU students cannot take any courses that require admissions to a special program, such as Honors, University College, Mentorship or Washington Semester.
Abroad at AU students are not allowed to register for the following courses in SIS:
- SISU-106: First Year Seminar
- SISU-206: Intro to Int'l Studies Research
- SISU-105: World Politics (in the Fall semester. Students can take this in the Spring)
- SISU-140: Cross-cultural Communication (in the Spring semester. Students can take this in the Fall)
- If interested in taking courses at the 300 level or above, students must provide an explanation of how they feel they've met the prerequisite. Course descriptions and syllabi are encouraged.
Abroad at AU students are not allowed to register for the following courses in Kogod:
- KSB 100: Business 1.0 (in the Fall semester. Students can take this in the Spring semester)
- KSB 255: Strategic Business Communication
- KSB 356: Management Communication for Social Responsibility
- Any 500 level accounting course
- MGMT 458: Strategic Management
- To take any 400 level Finance course students must have completed one semester each of statistics, micro and macro economics in addition to any stated prerequisites.
- FIN 465: Derivative Securities
- FIN 575: CFA Level I Intensive Review
- FIN 500 level course: Student Management Investment Fund
- MKTG 412: Advertising & Promotion Campaigns